Postgraduate in Clinical and Field Epidemiology
Postgraduate and Postgraduate Management, University of La Serena.
The University of La Serena, has designed the Postgraduate in Clinical and Field Epidemiology, whose purpose is to develop the necessary competencies that allow the health professional to propose and develop clinical research in jobs with methodological field or clinical approach based in decision making with epidemiological and interdisciplinary foundations in disease surveillance and control or in the solution of health problems relevant to the community of origin. This program has the support and interest of the SEREMI Health of the Coquimbo Region.
This program has the following objectives:
- Develop critical analysis capabilities of up-to-date scientific literature to support clinical protocols to begin work in research in infection control and clinical research areas.
- Describe clinically and epidemiologically infectious and emerging diseases in the diagnosis, prevention and control supported by scientific evidence that allows them to provide the best care to patients in the clinical setting in the context of epidemiological surveillance.
- Identify and classify an event of importance for public health using current surveillance systems and rumor-based surveillance in addressing a simulated situation of epidemic and infectious outbreak management, with descriptive and analytical methodologies to measure risk.
- Acquire the necessary knowledge for the development of a research project in the clinical and field field in the epidemiology applied in noncommunicable, infectious and emerging diseases in PHC and Hospital level.
- To use the ethical norms and the fundamental aspects of the ethics of the health professional in his role as scientific researcher.
The curriculum is organized in the following modules:
- Module I:
Epidemiological surveillance and quality control in infectious and emerging diseases.
Module that allows to know the conceptual and instrumental methods to achieve the objectives of public health surveillance (design and creation of surveillance systems, daily monitoring, records, frequency analysis, association and impact both its basic calculation and its interpretation .
- Module II:
Clinical and field epidemiology in infectious and emerging diseases.
Intended to deliver knowledge on clinical epidemiology with analysis of cases in infectious and emerging pathologies, evaluation of family and community risk, and the analysis of the different forms of control of these diseases in simulated scenarios with special emphasis on epidemic outbreaks and other infectious processes emerging, under the protection of the regulatory framework for actions to prevent and respond to emerging diseases.
- Module III:
Methodologies in clinical and epidemiological research for noncommunicable diseases.
Module that contemplates the actions of the professional in the capture and analysis of epidemiological data in noncommunicable diseases, applying epidemiology of trends, estimates of rates, risks and protection based on the determining factors. This module also intends that health professionals acquire the necessary knowledge for the development of a research project or update of clinical protocols with scientific information, which constitutes the instrument that allows the connection of research ideas with the reality using quantitative methodologies, critical analysis of the literature and execution of an investigation at the end of the Post Chapter.
- Module IV:
Ethics in scientific research and multidisciplinary teamwork.
Module that identifies the characteristics of ethical norms and the fundamental aspects of ethics in scientific research according to current legislation.
The plan includes 324 chronological hours distributed in 108 face-to-face chronological hours and 216 autonomous work chronological hours. 6 months.
- Start of classes: November 29 of 2019
- Online application period: From the 21 of October to the 22 of November
- Delivery of results: until November 25
- Registration: from the 11 to the 28 in November
Program Director: Dr. Paola Nieves Salas Rivas
Phone: +51 2 204440